What is a dental crown "dental cap"?
A dental crown is a full coverage cap that cements over the existing natural tooth structure. The crown restores the tooth to its normal shape, size, and function. A crown can make the tooth stronger or improve the way it looks.
What is a dental veneer?
A layer of material used to cover the surface of a tooth. It is used to enhance aesthetics.
Why do I need a dental crown?
• You have a cavity that is too large for a filling
• You have a tooth that is cracked, worn down, or otherwise weakened
• You have had root canal treatment — the crown will protect the restored tooth
• You want to cover a discolored or badly shaped tooth and improve your smile
What is a dental bridge?
A Bridge is several "caps" linked together that spans from natural tooth across an empty space to another natural tooth. It is permanently cemented in place. The bridge restores the tooth function, shape, size and fills in a missing space.
Why do I need a dental bridge?
• You have a cavity that is very large for a filling on several teeth adjacent to missing tooth "space or gap"
• You have a space you are interested in replacing with a tooth like crown
• You have had root canal treatment on a tooth that is adjacent to missing tooth and want to close the adjacent space
• You want to cover a discolored or badly shaped tooth and improve your smile while closing a missing tooth "space or gap"
How is a tooth prepped for a crown or bridge?
· the dentist prepares the tooth by removing the outer portion of the natural tooth to create space for the esthetic crown. All decay or damaged filling is removed if necessary. A build up may be required to achieve the appropriate shape
· An impressions is taken of the tooth
· You may get a temporary crown which will be worn for 2 weeks
· The second visit will involve removing the temporary crown, and cementing the permanent crown once you and the dentist is happy with the new crown
What is a temporary crown
A crown that is cemented while the permanent crown is made. It holds the space and protects the prepared tooth.
What to do if my temporary crown comes off?
If your temporary crown comes off-don't panic. Call and we will gladly work you in our schedule with our convenient hours. If you are not a patient of ours, we will still gladly take a look and re-cement the crown for you! If we are closed or if you are on vacation, place Vasoline in temporary crown and place on tooth and schedule with us as soon as possible.