What to expect at a regular teeth cleaning visit?
· A full periodontal evaluation (probing) where the hygienist gently records the gum pockets around each tooth. This is a small dental measuring tool that is calibrated with lines to measure how deep the pocket is. During Probing, the readings will range on average from 2 to 4 mm pockets on healthy patients.
· Radiographs (if indicated) Bitewings and PAs and/or Panorex
· Hand scaling of teeth with dental instruments and Cavitron "ultrasonic" as needed
· Polishing teeth
· fluoride treatment if indicated
· Dentist examination with treatment plan if any treatment "cavities etc" are found.
Who needs a professional preventive cleaning?
A 6-12 month frequency is recommended for teeth cleanings
How often should I get bitewing X-rays? Every 12-24 months
How is periodontal "gum" disease diagnosed?
A dentist will diagnose periodontal disease by using the probing depths, radiographs and looking at other factors including tooth mobility (looseness), exposed roots, recession etc.